Powered By Blogger

I was actually sad to hear about this. Growing up with in a Bobby Grich homer from the Big A, I followed the Angels. Yes I am a White Sox fan first, but I rooted and will still root for the Halo's. So thanks to being close to Anaheim Stadium and a father who taught me the importance of watching anything with a score, I watched a ton of Mauch's tenures at the helm. So I have a great amount of respect for the man. Sadly he will always be tied to the '64 Phillies and Chico "&*$%ing" Ruiz stealing home, and two monumental Angel playoff disasters.

1982 they won the first two from the greatest slow pitch softball team ever, only to lose the next three. Pete Ladd got his 15 minutes of fame.

Then 1986 that was just sad, but such great drama. Actually the whole playoffs were. A break here and break there and we are talking about an Astro/Angels World Series. He will forever be reamed for taking out Mike Witt, but he did the right thing. It seems that everyone forgets that Gedman was killing Witt, he tagged him for a double that came close to going through the fence. Also he was the only guy who Witt could not get out in Game 1. Gary Lucas had not hit anyone all year until then. Then poor Donnie Moore an angry man with a bum shoulder who just did not have it that day and what did it lead to. Yeah you know the story.

The guy could be a hard ass and not very flexible, just think Terry Collins but better by 1000. But he was a student of the game and he won 1900 games and lets not forget he spent a good bit of time with the Expos back in the early 70's which was not an easy gig.

He was the first to really use the double switch. He used every player on his roster. He played little ball with the best of him. I also learned a talent that is no longer needed. Now the box scores are incredibly indepth. But not too long ago they were pretty bear bones. I am talking in the days before the National. He used to be able to figure out how the games ended without seeing highlights. He could look at the box score and construct how the game ended. Who did what, who faced who and etc. He perfected this as a way to see how teams used their closers and how he would prepare for them. I know that sounds dumb, but I found it facisinating. In fact I still have that Sporting News article. Sadly I have forgotten the trick, but maybe I will try to dust it off and try it again.

The man won games using people like: Rob Wilfong, Jerry Narron, Juan Beniquez, Rupert Jones, Gus Polidar (we miss you as well Gustavo), Ron Romanick and Urbano Lugo. Let us not forget he won a AL West title in '82 with Tim Foli as his everyday shortstop. Sure you say the Pirates won with him, but they had more talent, and they were family. The man was a magician. We salute you "Little General".

3 comments:

Eric XXL said...

What, no love for Doug Decinces? Were you with us for the Angel's great 1986 ALCS Game 6 comeback? So hard to remember, although it stands as single greatest sporting event I ever attended.

MMA Media Advantage said...

"and a father who taught me the importance of watching anything with a score"

boski my man, you are an excellent writer.

Boski93 said...

But Doug could play, he made a run at MVP in 82. Come on this man had to be valuable, "Disco" Danny Ford and Don Aase don't come for free.

Sadly, I was not with you that warm Friday night where the Angels scratched out a come back against Schiraldi and the Red Sox. I think you and your dad were in the LF Club up by the foul pole right? I had to wait till '02 to catch my first playoff game at the Big A, even though you could say the finale of '95 (where they beat the A's just to have the right to lose complete their collaspe to the M's at the Kingdome) was.

Thank you Bubba Ray, I am honored.